Heritage in Aveyron
all sites to visit
Aubrac, 'Alto Braco' in an old local patois, meaning 'the high place' is located on the Aubrac Plateau at 4422 feet altitude. The village, a very rich place historically speaking, is listed as a Historic Monument and is a stop-over on the Way of St. James. The stop-over gîte is hidding in a tower dating from the 14th century, built as a protection against the English during the Hundred Years War.
The 14th century tower of the Templar commandery of La Clau. Fortified the place became a Templar commandery in the 13th century, of which the castle tower, repaired in 1681 remains. Outdoor visit free throughout the year (explanatory panel)
In the village of Saint Victor, you will find the "Sistine chapel of the Rouergue". Here Nicolaï Geschny unveils his treasure. 25 frescos painted in the Byzantine tradition.
The Romanesque church of Perse, built between the late 11th century and the start of the 12th. The church of Perse was the parish church of Espalion until the construction in the 15th century of the church Saint-Jean-Baptiste (currently Musées des Arts et Traditions populaires et du Scaphandre) at the centre of the fortified town. The church of Perse was located on one of the roads of Compostelle from Puy-en-Velay to Conques.