A château dating from the Middle Ages
Perched on a rocky spur, built at the confluence of the Tarn and the Alrance, the château fort was built in the 9th century. After having belonged to the Counts of Rodez and the Arpajon family, it was bought by the commune in 1839 who transformed it into a presbytery.
Its fortified walls, its chemin de ronde walkway as well as its five defensive towers have been preserved from the Middle Ages.
Visit the Château
A renovated village
Like most rural villages, brousse experienced a slow decline in the latter years of the 19th century which provoked the concentration of land and modernisation of agricultural techniques. The architectural heritage was even in danger of disappearing, but shortly after 1960, the association de la Vallée de l’Amitié was founded by a group of personalities attached to the conservation and renovation of rural life and its adaptation to the evolutions in our civilisation. The association took on the restoration of the château and village houses with the objective of breathing new life into this beautiful architectural ensemble.
Its church, its oratory, its character houses, and its Romanesque style bridge, make this mediaeval village an exceptional site.