SITE DU CALVAIRE
Exceptional site whose origin is a protohistory fortification of 20 acres. Oppidum Gaulois a double fortification. Castellum after the conquest by Caesar on the Roman road.
Church of St Jean Baptiste that was the first parsh of Villefranche de Rouergue in 1281 until 1301. The building's origins go back to 767. Chapelle du St Sépulcre built in 1715 by the Blue Penitents demolished in the Revolution and re-built in 1807 by the Black Penitents. Access via the Roman road, viewpoint indicator enabling a view over the bastide and historical buildings of the region right to the heart of Quercy to be discovered.
GPS coordinates lat. 44° 20' 51" - long. 2° 3' 2"
- Access for the handicapped
- Car park
- Coach parking
- Picnic area
- Pets allowed
- Free guided tour for groups
Place : Site du Calvaire
Le Calvaire St Jean d'Aigremont 12200 Villefranche-de-Rouergue