CHAPELLE DE MELS

Small church of an ancient priory attached to Orlhaguet in 1790, it holds an inestimable treasure: its altarpiece in polychrome wood that recounts the life of Jesus in 18 frames. The chapelle de Mels, with its bell gable dating from the 16th century (notice the gargoyle) contains a 16th century altarpiece comprised of a group of sculptures representing the life of Christ

The chapelle St Martial de Mels carries the date 1753, but one can see gargoyles and remains of a much older church. In the interior one finds grain measures dated 1576. one can also admire an altarpiece made up, in equal parts, of 2 altarpieces: one dating from the 15th century, the other from the 16th century. One of the frames represents the resurrection of Christ. Which is rare. There are only two in the Aveyron. The other is conserved in one of the apses of Rodez cathedral (guided visits to be reserved at the Office de Tourisme)

Language(s)
Reception : FrançaisAnglais

GPS coordinates lat. 44° 48' 40" - long. 2° 43' 41"

Opening dates
  • From 01 january 2015 to 31 december 2015 - Open

Services

Equipments and Services on site
  • White water sports

Contact

Place : Chapelle de Mels
Mels 12420 Ste-Geneviève-sur-Argence
Telephone 33 (0)5 65 66 19 75 Fax 33 (0)5 65 44 99 96 E-mail Website http://www.argencetourisme-aubrac.com

moteur de recherche Caravelis - informations touristiques SITA